There are so many putters out there it can seem that just anything will do. The truth of the matter is that the putter is the club you use the most in the round so it should be the one you take the most care over choosing. Let the Staff at The Pro Shop at Braintree Golf Club help you through the mine field and get the correct putter for you. Below are some helpful hints.
First and foremost ensure you are standing correctly to the ball and balanced on your feet, never try and fit yourself to the putter make sure it fits you, if you are looking for significant improvements in your golf it is a must.
The key points of correctly fitting a putter are as follows length, lie, loft, off set, face material, swing weight, dead weight, balance and grip size.
Using the TOMI putting system we can take you through the process and help with the following,
- Make sure the putter is the correct length to suite your personal height and physic.
- Make sure the putter is set at the correct lie angle to suit you.
- Putter off set, this means whether the shaft of the putter should be in front of the face of the putter or any where to just behind the putter face, get this wrong and this can make a considerable difference to aim and putter face square at impact.
- Consider putter loft, this can only be carried out accurately being fitted dynamically.
- Weight of the putter is a very personal thing but is extremely important in maintaining the correct feel for the player and getting it wrong will make maintaining rhythm much more difficult. Can affect long putts significantly.
- Balance of the putter must suit your personal stroke mechanics again this should only be assessed with a dynamic fitting which will assess what will work best for you.
- Insert or no insert again this can only really be carried out correctly by dynamic fitting, by doing this you can see and feel exactly what is happening.